Place and time: The 75th annual meeting of the Western States Folklore Society (WSFS) will be held 8-9 April, 2016 at University of California, Berkeley. The deadline for abstracts is February 15, 2016.
The preliminary program is now available as a PDF. Click on the Preliminary Program button in the navigation panel to the left.
The Archer Taylor Memorial Lecture: This year's lecture will be given by Prof. Galit Hasan-Rokem, Professor (emeritus) of Hebrew Literature at Hebrew University, Jerusalem, where she held the Max and Margarethe Grunwald chair in folklore. During the current (2015-2016) academic year, she is fellow at the Katz Center for Advanced Judaic Studies at the University of Pennsylvania. Among her fields of expertise is the study of proverbs (paremiology), and she is associate editor of Proverbium: Yearbook of International Proverb Scholarship.
Site: All conference proceedings will be held on the UC campus in Berkeley.
Accommodations: Nearby Hotels and motels are listed below. Please note that these are prices quoted on October 1, 2015 and are subject to change. You should reserve a room directly with the hotel or motel as soon as possible. Click on the following names to go to their website. We will notify you by email and on the WSFS website (www.westernfolklore.org) of any changes, such as group rates, should these become available.
- Bancroft Hotel, 2680 Bancroft Way, Berkeley, CA 94704 510-549-1000: $135-179
- Hotel Durant, 2600 Durant Ave, Berkeley, 94704, 510-845-8981: $259
- Faculty Club, campus, Berkeley, CA 94720, 510-540-6204: $95-175
- Knights Inn: 1512 University Ave, Berkeley, CA, 94703, 844-517-7292: $229
- Hotel Shattuck, 2086 Allston Way, Berkeley, CA, 94707, 510-845-7300: $199
- Rodeway Inn, 1461 University Ave, Berkeley, CA, 94702, 844-517-7292: $119
- Travelodge, 1820 University Ave, Berkeley, CA 94703, 800-525-4055: $189
- Women's Faculty Club, campus, 510-642-4175, $143-173
Abstracts: Abstracts of 100-150 words should be submitted to WSFS 2016 Organizing Committee at WSFS2016Berkeley@gmail.com. Deadline for abstracts is February 15, 2016.
Please submit abstracts in Microsoft Word using the following format:
Last Name, First Name (Affiliation). TITLE. Abstract.
Registration Fees: Those submitting papers must pay their registration fees at the time of abstract submission. No one will be put on the conference program who has not paid his or her registration fee. Those not submitting abstracts may also pay in advance or at the conference. Nonmembers who join the Society at registration are eligible for membership benefits, including reduced registration fees and a subscription to Western Folklore.
Registration fees for regular members: $45 Registration fees for non-members: $70 Registration fees for student/retired members: $25 Registration fees for student/retired nonmembers: $45 Combined membership and registration fees for individual non-members: $85 (See note below) Combined membership and registration fees for student/retired non-members: $55 (See note below)
PLEASE NOTE: Online pre-registration for the 2016 Meeting is now closed. Please register in person at the registration desk, 110 Kroeber Hall. You may pay by cash or check only; WSFS does not accept credit cards.
When paying by check, make it out to Western States Folklore Society (WSFS)
Student Travel Stipends: WSFS awards three student travel stipends of $100 each to students coming to the conference to deliver a paper. To apply, a student must:
- Indicate they areapplying apply for the stipend
- Submit their abstracts before the February 15 deadline
- Submit two abstracts: a 100-150 word abstractfor publication in the program and a 350 word abstract in which the paper is described in more detail, with special attention to the conceptual point of the paper.The second abstract should also be emailed to the WSFS 2016 Organizing Committee at WSFS2016Berkeley@gmail.com. The recipients of the student stipends will be announced in early March. Preference will be given to students who come from afar and incur significant travel expenses in coming to the meeting.